Wednesday, March 2, 2011

2 weeks old


WOW 2 weeks old already. Bill and I both keep saying he seems like he is way older than just 2 weeks. We have had some difficulty with breastfeeding this time around. At the hospital the nurses kept saying "you're doing great, he has a great latch" and my responds THEN WHY DOES IT HURT SO BAD!!! I finally decided to go and see the LC at base and see if she could help me out. The pain was becoming unbearable. After about 15 minutes of her poking and him latching and re-latching on she finally said, lets look at his tongue. He is tongue tied!!! Thankfully I was already headed for his 2 week appointment with Dr. Stewart. (shes great by the way if you need a good peds doc at Lakenheath). The L.C. wanted me to talk to the doc. to see if she agreed with her. So later on we went to his 2 weeks appt and YEP! He sure is tongue tied. And to top it off, he hasn't gotten back to his birth weight. So a referral was put in to the ENT to get his tongue clipped. After getting blood work poor guy, picking up vitamins from the pharmacy, going to the referral office, heading up to ENT, them telling us to come back in 20 minutes bc the doc was on the phone, we finally talked to the doctor. He decided he would just do it then. Which I was very grateful for bc Bill was with me and I did not want to be in the room when they did it. I had to do everything to keep it together in the waiting room. So after about 2o minutes Luke's tongue was clipped and he was nursing. I was hoping to be pain free but not so much. Poor guy now has to relearn how to nurse. I am hoping the road is not too long for us to have a happy nursing relationship. We have a weight check next Thursday and hopefully they will be happy with his weight gain and will not tell me to supplement bc Im not going to! We will just nurse more through the pain and all. He's doing great otherwise. He goes to bed between 9 and 10 then up every 3 hours to nurse but then goes right to sleep when he is done. So I am happy with that. He's just our gorgeous little guy and makes our family feel so COMPLETE!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Poor sweet boy! Glad you figured out the issue, though!!! Hope things improve... He's darling